This article is written for those who wanna install WordPress software as a backup of their blogs on their windows machines. It is just one shot installation for all required softwares such as PHP, MySQL, Apache and etc without individual downloading or manual configuring.
Normally, it’s kinda hard to install and configure PHP, MySQL, Apache on Windows. You have to download each and every packages. You may need to download the separated packages (eg: UI and Service) for some softwares. You may need to configure some files (eg: *.ini) manually. It’s kinda troublesome.
Now, the way that I show you is very simple. You only need to download one package and this package will install and configure all softwares that you need. This post is not just for installing WordPress locally. You can use this post as a reference for installing PHP, MySQL , Perl and Apache on your windows.
Okay. Let’s start!
First, you need to download one useful tool called XAMPP.
What is XAMPP?
XAMPP website said that ~
Many people know from their own experience that it’s not easy to install an Apache web server and it gets harder if you want to add MySQL, PHP and Perl.
XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use – just download, extract and start.
XAMPP is a tool that helps you to install MySQL, PHP, Perl, Apache and some more useful PHP applications (eg: phpMyAdmin) on your OS in very easy way without configuring anything. It works on Windows, Mac, Linux and Solaris. However, this post is created for Windows users only and all screenshots are captured on Windows Vista.
Installing XAMPP ver 1.6.2 (PHP 5.2.2 and 4.7.7, MySQL 5.0.41, Perl and Apache)
Note for those who has installed IIS on your machine: Before installing XAMPP, it is better if you stop IIS (Internet Information Service ) because Apache Web Server will be used port 80 so that if IIS is currently using that port then Apache won’t be able to start the Service.
1. Download xampp-win32-1.6.2-installer.exe from this link. and Click the installer.
( The Wranning Messagebox will be shown if your OS is Windows Vista. Just click “OK” but Ensure that you install this package in the location that you have “Write” permission. If you are not sure about that, please just install “C:\xampp\”)
2. Click “Next”
3. Click “Next”
4. Check all three checkedboxes under Service Section. And Click “Install”
(Wait 1 or 2 minutes while installing. )
5. Click “Finish” button to finish the installation.
This is all about installing PHP, MySQL and Apache on your machine. The picture below is the directory structure of XAMPP that you just install in your machine.
Let’s start installing WordPress in your machine.
Installing WordPress in your machine
1. Download zip file from http://wordpress.org. And Extract it in your machine. Then, Copy and Paste it under htdocs folder of XAMPP installation. (eg: C:\xampp\htdocs\)
2. Type “http://localhost/phpmyadmin/” in your favorite browser.
3. Type “wordpress” in “Create New Database” textbox and click “Create” button. (The new database called “wordpress” will be created in MySQL database.)
4. Type “http://localhost/wordpress/” in browser (The following screen will be shown in your browser.) Click “create a wp-config file through a web interface”.
5. Click “Lets go” link
6. Click “Submit” button. (You should note that the default password of MySQL Server is blank and the default user name is “root”. If you have the custom user name and password then please fill accordingly.And ensure that you have “Write” permission to wp-config file and WordPress folder.)
7. Now, you have finished configuring wp-config file and you are ready to start installing WordPress in your machine. In order to start the installation, click “run the install” link.
8. Fill the title of your blog and your Email address. You can also check whether you want your blog to be visible in Search Engines. This option is not important since you are installing WordPress in your local machine with the purpose of backing-up your blog or personal uses. Then, Click “Continue to Second Step” button.
9. It will show you that the database has been created and the default has been filled. It will give you the admin user name and the generated password for admin user. (I would suggest you to change this generated password to something that is easy to memorize for you.)
Now, the installation is done with a few steps. You can start log-in to your wordpress. :)
Thats all about installing php, mysql, apache and wordpress installation on Windows. It is sooo easy, isn’t it? :) Let me know if you have any idea or comment for this post… Thanks for reading..