UPDATED:: This competition is over. The official website ["www.sndbx.org"] for this competition is no longer available.
What is it all about?
This competition is all about customizing the Sandbox theme by using CSS and images without touching PHP code. It’s like WordPress theme competition but its focusing on designing thing so that it’s good for web designers. (You don’t need to know anything about PHP code, WordPress Template API and etc)
Deadline : 12:00 AM UTC, July 29, 2007
Purpose of this competition
- Promoting Premium CSS upgrade in wordpress.com
- Promoting Sandbox Theme
- And ~
* To be transparent, organized, and fun;
* To solicit new, excellent designs to benefit the WordPress community;
* To reinvigorate the creative energy present in the WordPress community; and,
* To provide a challenging competition appropriate for experienced and novice designers.
* Total Competition Prizes: US $1000 or $1950.00
1st prize: US$850 2nd prize: US$550 3rd prize: US$400 First three (3) runner-ups will receive US$50 honorarium and a copy of Blogging Tips by Lorelle each
1. First prize. The Contest champion will win US$500.
2. Second prize. The Contest second-place winner will win US$300.
3. Third prize. The Contest third-place winner will win US$200.
4. Runner-ups. The Contest runner-ups will receive honorariums.
Odds of winning a prize will vary depending upon the number of actual Contest participants. In the event any entry is deemed ineligible, the Administrator may award the prizes to alternate entries as it deems suitable. Winners may be required to pay customs, duty charges and/or taxes.
Note: It’s better if you check the latest news about prizes in this site since it keep on changing all the time.
Who launched this competition?
The competition is lunched by Scott of plaintxt.org, who is the cocreator of the Sandbox along with Andy of Automattic.
- All designs will be limited to style sheets (CSS) and images (no theme PHP mods)
- Designs must be released with GNU General Public License or compatible license. (Keep in mind that it’s not CC license. So, no one is gonna give you any credit even they are using your design.)
- Designs may only be released publicly after submissions close (You are NOT allowed to attach your theme as a zip file in your blog. but you can show how your theme looks like in your blog. )
- You are allowed to submit multiple entries in different emails (eg: Submission: My Theme1, Submission: My Theme2 and so on.)
- Everything (icons, images or etc) that are used in your theme should be under GNU. (Don’t forget to check the license before copying the image from websites or search engines.)
– Send to email@example.com with the subject “Submission: [Title]“, where [Title] is the name of the design.
The submission attachment must be a ZIP archive with the following file structure:
—- screenshot.png (400px by 300px)
A few important points before submitting your design:
- Submissions containing a screenshot in a format other than PNG will be ignored.
- Submissions containing a screenshot not 400px (w) by 300px (h) will be ignored.
- Submissions in archive formats other than ZIP will be ignored.
- Submissions lacking an explicit GNU General Public License license (or compatible) will be ignored.
Results will be announced on www.sndbx.org by 12:00 AM (UTC), Monday, August 6, 2007. Winners will be issued their cash awards via Paypal within 48 hours of final results.
It’s interesting, isn’t it? Are you ready for this competition? :-) I will post some useful links for images, icons and sample css of sandbox theme.. Let me know if you have any resource that can be used for this competition. Feel free to discuss with me if you have any idea or comment about this competition.
All the best!!