Tips/Tricks: Silverlight 2 (beta 1) Tools for Visual Studio 2008 Installation Error 23

Problem ~

An Error Has Occurred:
Silverlight Tools cannot be installed because one or more of the following conditions is true:

1. Visual Studio 2008 RTM is not installed.
2. The Web Authoring feature of Visual Studio is not installed.
3. A previous version of the Silverlight Runtime is installed.
4. A previous version of the Silverlight SDK is installed.
5. The Visual Studio Update KB949325 is installed.
6. A previous version of Silverlight Tools is installed.

To continue, please install or uninstall the appropriate products and run this installer again.

SL 2 Tool for VS 2008 2 ERROR

Solution ~

Short Answer: You are sure that all of conditions above are false but you are getting this error. Then, The shortest answer is “uninstall Silverlight 2 beta1 SDK” from your machine.

That’s all. You should be able to install after uninstalling. but If you want to read more details, please keep on reading further.

Detailed ~

Step #1. Install Visual Studio 2008 release version or RTM version

You have to install the release or RTM version of Visual Studio 2008 in your machine. Your Visual Studio should be Professional Edition or Standard Edition or Team System. You can’t use VS 2008 beta or Express version.

Step #2. Install the Web Authoring Component of Visual Studio

The Web Authoring feature of Visual Studio

You need to check whether you have Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component installed in your machine or not. If you have installed Visual Studio 2008, you already have that web authoring component installed. but just in case you accidentally remove that component, you can run WebToolsCore.exe to install that component manually. The setup fiel is located under WCU\WebToolsCore of VS DVD. If you are not sure about what VS Web Authoring Component is, you can read this post.

Step #3. Remove the Visual Studio Update KB949325 if it’s installed

You have to remove that Visual Studio Update (KB949325) from your machine.

If you are a Windows Vista user, please go to “Control Panel” and open “Programs and Features”. Then, Click “View installed updates” and find “KB949325″.
view-install-update.gif

If you are XP users, go to “Add and Remove Programs” and select “Show Update”. And find “KB949325″ in the list.

Step #4. Uninstall all of the previous versions of the Silverlight Runtime/SDK/Tool

You have to uninstall all of the previous versions of Silverlight runtime/SDK/Tool from your system.

Uninstalling is very simply. but sometimes, you might face some weird problems. One of my friends faced one weird problem when he tried to uninstall the previous version of Silverlight. He installed “Silverlight 1.0 SDK VS 2005 template” in his machine long time back. The time when he installed that SDK, he had VS 2005.

sdk-template.jpg

but after sometime, he removed VS 2005 from his machine. Now, he wanted to remove SL 1.0 SDK but he couldn’t. The message below kept on showing when he tried to uninstall.

sl-sdk-10.jpg

So, I suggested him to use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to remove that SDK and he did it.

ms-clean-up-remove.jpg

Note: I would like to suggest you to use CCleaner to scan your registry and fix all issues after removing SL 1.0 SDK from your machine.

Step #5. Uninstall Silverlight 2 (beta1) runtime, SDK, Tool for Visual Studio 2008

Please uninstall Silverlight 2 (beta1) runtime, SDK, Tool for Visual Studio 2008 in case you have installed before facing this problem.

Step #6. Install Silverlight 2 (beta1) runtime

Now, you can install Silverlight 2 (beta1) runtime. (It’s just for the sequence of installing. That’s why I asked you to uninstall SL2-related things first.)

Step #7. Install VS 2008 Web Development Hot-Fix

You can download this hot-fix from this link. then, install it in your machine after installing Silverlight 2 runtime.

Finally,

Now, you can run silverlight_chainer.exe again.I hope you should be able to run the setup successfully. Feel free to let me know if you have any problem in installing SL 2 Tool.

Issues after installing Silverlight 2 Tool for VS 2008

#1: ‘Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.Silverlight.IVsSilverlightService’ error

If you are getting one of the following error, you have by-passed the validation of Silverlight 2 Tool installer by extracting (winrar-ing) the silverlight_chainer.exe or following this post. You have to follow 7 steps that I mentioned above to install Silverlight 2 Tool firstly. If you are able to install that tool, the following error will be disappeared.

vs-2-err.jpg

OR

error.jpg
#2. The project type is not supported by this installation

error.jpg

Run devenv.exe /resetskippkgs in case you got this error. (Thanks to BradleyB for this post.)

23 thoughts on “Tips/Tricks: Silverlight 2 (beta 1) Tools for Visual Studio 2008 Installation Error

1. Pingback: The trouble with Panel Installers » Blog Archive » What others have been saying about panel installer

2. Pingback: Silverlight 2 Beta 1 - miguel

3. Reply David Yardy Mar 10,2008 5:21 pm

Very good article. I used your article to review my setup in an effort to isolate the problem. The problem in the end was that I had installed vs.net 2008 on my d drive (and not the c). Once i removed and reinstalled on c everything installed fine.

per blog entry http://dyardy.spaces.live.com/

Thanks again – Dave

4. Reply ping Mar 18,2008 9:40 pm

when we install silverlight 2.0 it’s alway have error only ” Installed failed.” in display box and dont’have any other information to find out what is a problem. (I already uninstall a previous version and follow a step alredy)

5. Reply Michael Sync Mar 18,2008 10:46 pm

Hi Ping,

Which installer are you trying to install? runtime or SDK or tool for vs?

You have to uninstall all softwares (e.g. rutime, SKD, Tool for VS ) related to the previous version of Silverlight?

then, try to install SL 2 tool for VS 2008 (silverlight_chainer.exe). It will install runtime, hot-fix, SDK and Tool for VS2008…

Another thing is that it is better if you have administrator right to install Silverlight. You need to have the write/edit permission to registry, System folder and program files.

6. Reply ping Mar 19,2008 2:55 am

Thanks for information.
    But it’s still doesn’t work. I try to uninstall all software VS2008,Silverlight 1.1 and install VS2008 again and reboot after that install silverlight 2.0 (Silverlight.2.0.exe) but still have this error (Installation failed. And if we run silverlight_chainer.exe it’s just extract some file and return errorr in dialog box the message is “SPInstaller has encountereda problem and need to close.” So do you have any idea for me?

Remark: I have right as administrator.
    Thanks

7. Reply Michael Sync Mar 19,2008 5:18 am

Hi,

Silverlight 1.0 and Silverlight 1.1 are the previous version of Silverlight. You have to uninstall SL 1.1 too.

YOu can get the installers in this link.

Please uninstall SL 1.1 and reinstall SL 2 again . let me know your environment if you are still having the problem.

8. Pingback: Having trouble installing Silverlight 2.0 Beta 1? « WPF Wonderland

9. Reply enrico mandelli Apr 2,2008 12:39 pm

Very useful article.
    Notice then the installation of Web Authoring Component is included in :
    DVD:\WCU\WebDesignerCore\WebDesignerCore.EXE.

You must UnZip this file and run setup.EXE included.
    I found this important note at :

THANKS !!

10. Reply Gijs Apr 13,2008 9:34 am

I followed your article (plus the other known ones around) about this problem but I kept getting the
    “could not load type microsoft.visualstudio.web.silverlight.ivssilverlightservice”
    error, it realy drove me nuts :-)

In a final attempt I tried following the article on the site http://weblogs.asp.net/bradleyb/archive/2008/03/06/installation-tips-for-sivliverlight-tools-beta-1-for-visual-studio-2008.aspx and I extracted all the files and installed them seperatly, I then found that the KB949325 was not installing at all! So I think this was the reason I couldn’t get it to work.

The problem was that I cleaned up my windows\installer directory and the KB needs the VS msi te complete. After I restored my backup of this directory the KB installed fine and I can now create projects.

So maybe you can add it to your article because it is one of the main hits if you google it and it might help some more people out.

11. Reply Michael Sync Apr 13,2008 7:27 pm

Hello Gijs,

Thanks for that.

Actually, Silverlight 2 Tool for VS 2008 (silverlight_chainer.exe) has the following installers.

1) Silverlight 2 runtime
    2) Silverlight 2 SDK
    3) KB949325
    4) Tool (templates) for VS 2008.

If you have already installed SDK, KB949325 and Tool (templates) for VS 2008 except Silverlight 2 runtime before installing silverlight_chainer.exe, you will get the error. So, you have to remove SDK and KB949325 beforehand. then, install silverlight_chainer.exe so that you will get everything..

Yes. but this is not the problem that you faced.

Thanks a lot for sharing the solution with us.

I have one question. How did you restore the file in that folder? I just check %systemroot%\Installer folder and there are a lot of files. Let’s say I delete all files with shift + delete and I don’t have backup then. What should I do? Can I get them from somewhere? or Can I re-install something?

12. Reply Gijs Apr 13,2008 11:54 pm

Hello Michael,

I did uninstall everything before running the chainer, so the chainer did run without an error. The problem was that when I manually installed the KB fix, I kept getting a choose location dialogue because it appearantly needs the VS msi file, so I assume the KB fix fails during the chainer installation but it does not give any message about it (allthough I didn’t check the log).

As for your question, I made a complete backup of the directory before I removed it’s contents so luckily I could just copy them back. I do not know if there is another way to fix it. On a different note, I did not use the microsoft tool to clean my installer directory but just deleted everything so that is probably not the smartest way anyway ;-)

13. Reply Michael Sync Apr 14,2008 12:23 am

Hello Gijs,

Thanks a lot for coming back and answering my question. I will add about this in my post.. thanks again for your tip. :)

Regards,
    Michael Sync

14. Reply aja Apr 15,2008 1:33 am

Thanks! This worked for me

15. Pingback: Silverlight - neue Tools installieren at Blog von Jürgen Ebner

16. Pingback: Good resource if you are having problems with Silverlight 2 Dev Kit. - Yizhe Online Tablet

17. Reply Mitesh May 28,2008 7:15 pm

this was a good post and saved some time too..
    thanks

18. Reply Mivoat Jun 26,2008 5:53 am

I followed the 7 steps above but (after an entire day wasted) I’m STILL getting the ‘Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.Silverlight.IVsSilverlightService’ error.

Actually what I did was
    - uninstall all traces of Silverlight/SDK/Tools – all versions
    - uninstall VS 2008 SP1 and all VS2008 patches and hotfixes, such as KB949325

This left a plain vanilla version of VS2008 behind.

Then I:

- Ran CCleaner and resolved all Reisgtry issues.
    - Installed Silverlight 2.0.30226.2
    - Installed Web Dev Hotfix KB946781
    - Ran silverlight_chainer.exe
    - Ran devenv.exe /resetskippkgs

All were sucessful, but when I came to start a new Silverlight project I got the IVsSilverlightService error.

I’m using XP with SP3 v3264 on an Inspiron 1721.

VS2008 is the default install – on drive C:

I haven’t removed anything from C:\windows\Installer

It’s a pretty plain vanilla install I’ve got here.

I can’t see any other tips and so I’ve run out of things to try.

Any help much appreciated!

Clive (London UK)

19. Reply Gijs Jun 27,2008 1:33 am

Hello Mivoat,

If memory serves me right then the KB fix was part of the chainer and should not be installed before you install the chainer, maybe that caused the problem?

In the end I found the problem on my system after I extracted all the files from the chainer (about 4 or 5 of them I think) and started to install them one by one manualy.

I hope this is helpfull,

Gijs

20. Reply Mivoat Jun 27,2008 2:24 am

Thanks Gijs

Being a bit of a newbie here I wasn’t aware that there is Beta 1 and now Beta 2 – with two versions of silverlight_chainer.exe out there – Beta 1 about 56Mb and Beta 2 about 86Mb.

So my problem came down to mismatched beta versions.

Beta 2 is now installed and creating Silverlight projects without the IVsSilverlightService error.

However when I try to draw something in the design area nothing happens – the + shaped mousepointer doesn’t draw a grid or a button or anything it’s supposed to on a new form.

It works in Expression Blend 2.5 June Preview, but that doesn’t seem to have a DataGrid component. So it looks as though I’m going to be doing a lot of hand coding (Property panel not supported in VS2008 Silverlight projects either).

Is that right or have I missed something?

21. Reply Mivoat Jun 27,2008 4:06 am

Here’s the answer to my own question from a Scott Gu blog:

“We are working on an interactive Silverlight designer for Visual Studio – but it isn’t ready to ship just yet. Instead we have the Silverlight XAML source editor with design-time preview inside VS 2008 right now. In the future we’ll be enable the WYSIWYG interactiveness as well.

Hope this helps,

Scott”

22. Reply Shalin Ved Apr 10,2009 3:59 pm

Thanks a lot for your post.

I was getting the error : The project type is not supported by this installation.

Running Devenv.exe/resetskippkgs helped..

Thanks a lot..

23. Reply Paresh Oct 22,2009 1:02 am

Thanks,
    devenv.exe /resetskippkgs workd for me.